Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Call to Arms (well, fingers mostly)

The season is beginning to wind down in the Deep South. The temperature has risen and new foliage is threatening to burst forth at any moment. With the burgeoning greenery will come diminished forest visibility and, of course, increased humidity. Therefore, I have urgently renewed my search for boulders in the "mountains" of South Carolina, lest I be put off until November.

So far, the most promising area appears to be Table Rock State Park. The rock here bears a resemblance to that of Rumbling Bald, if a bit more blank looking. Most of the lines seem fairly difficult, but decidedly worth the effort needed to climb them (note: By decidedly, I mean that I, and I alone, have decided. All the blather hereafter will be a floundering attempt to convince you to get psyched, join me in my development effort, and publicly concur with my original assertion, which is, in case you've already forgotten: These lines are decidedly worth the effort). Moreover, I feel certain that I've only seen a small sample of the available problems. I have not even begun to explore the daunting expanse of territory actually below the Table Rock massif. Perhaps an intrepid partner will help me do so.

So here is my appeal: Come tromp through the woods with me. I'll provide coffee and beer, before and after, in any order you choose. There might be a great deal of hiking involved, but your cardiovascular system and I will be very grateful. See you soon.





This is a cool looking dyno project. Being that I have the stature of a T-Rex and the angular limb velocity of a sloth, I stand firmly against dynos (get it?). But I implore some of my lanky, spring-loaded friends to come climb this, and give it a much cooler name than I would.






Project...



Insert proud line here...





Project...

5 comments:

sock hands said...

the dyno i called "dyno-soar" alread. v4. next to it is "the egg" v3, "moby dick" v2, and "northwest arete" v6.

i was psyched to get to use these names for problems, finally! i had been wanting to name problems w/ these for years until i finally happend upon this mini cluster!

psyched you're psyched on my find!

sock hands said...

oh snap! i forgot "______ in a blender" ! there's like a million of em on one block!

Ryan Brazell said...

Fine, but I lay claim to anything regarding lobsters or their claws. It stands as a matter of record that I bagged the FA of anything and everything crustacean in this area. Crabs.

Mannphoto said...

Ryan your (wine induced)posts crack me up. I wish you'd just move back here hommie. Its almost mushroom hunting/alpine bouldering/happy hour patio/baggin' fourteeners season. Get with it. Post the Dali vid.

Ryan Brazell said...

Thanks, friend. I will definitely be in CO for summer. Can't wait. We'll see how next year pans out.

As for vids... After using up, as it were, all of the hand-me-down computers I've had at my disposal, I'm finally biting the bullet and getting a new one. Therefore, I should be able to post some old and new videos. That's right, the blame lies not with the carpenter, but with the tool. Classic excuse.